Artistry in Rhythm

Rhythm. It's in our bones. It's in our soul. It is such a deep part of each of us. It is a primal force that takes us back to our very beginnings.

rhythm |ˈriT͟Həmnouna strong, regular, repeated pattern of movement or sound: Ruth listened to the rhythm of his breathing.• the systematic arrangement of musical sounds, principally according to duration and periodic stress.

Rhythm. I've always felt it, but I've always felt it a little differently than others (which has caused some confusion in the past). While most people seem to feel it as “the systematic arrangement of musical sound,” I tend to feel it as waves of energy. To me, rhythm is more circular (actually spherical would be more like it, as in 360°) than linear. Most people feel it as linear, with one beat after the next, moving in a straight line. For me, the lines are circular and radiate out from a center point, moving in many directions at once. There may be beat, or pulse; or there may not. I see it more as an ebb & flow, like the tide moving in and out, over and over: tension & release.


Linear time
Waves of energy


Rhythm. Even when playing standard drum set music, in linear time, I still feel this wave movement and try to incorporate it. I have nothing against linear time. I just prefer moving in waves. It's a personal thing.

How do you move?

~ MB

Deconstruct Yourself™



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tam Tam vs Gong

What to Look for When Buying a Gong

Music Notation for Gongs