Who Do You Want To Be?


As a writer, one of the best pieces of advice I've ever read was, "Write the kind of book you want to read." That statement is freedom in itself. Notice, it doesn't say anything about, "Write the kind of book you think others will buy." No. Not at all.

"Write the kind of book you want to read."

This goes for music too: Play the type of music you want to hear. It sounds so simple, yet is often so difficult to do. Why? Because we're always worrying about acceptance. About making money. About becoming popular/famous. But by doing things you think you should do, based on guessing the market, will you ultimately be happy?

So I finally abandoned that type of thinking and went my own way. It has been an adventure, an adventure of discovery. I have found so much I wouldn't have if I had just tried to create something that would sell. And I keep discovering more.


This is the real secret of life — to be 
completely engaged with what you are 
doing in the here and now. And instead 
of calling it work, realize it is play.” 
- Alan Watts


Be who you really are…

~ MB 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tam Tam vs Gong

What to Look for When Buying a Gong

Music Notation for Gongs