The Art of Being Yourself

In any sort of art form, it's important to find your own voice. If you look at your heroes, chances are you admire them for the unique qualities they have, not for their ability to copy others. 

When I was first starting out on this journey, I often tried to be whatever was needed, molding myself to each project, changing like a musical chameleon. This was fine when I was younger, but it ultimately left me feeling like something was missing. I had no real identity.

Over the subsequent years, I worked hard to find and establish my own voice. It didn't just happen by itself, but was the result of various conscious choices I made. And even at this point of my career, I haven't stopped. I'm not standing still. I keep refining what I do, working to expand my own vision of what I imagine my music as.

As a result of this, people know who I am. They know what I do. And when they hire me, they know what they will get. 


I am hired to bring my own unique voice to the proceedings

In the studio, being myself. (photo by Meg Mullaney Vartanian) 

So if you are an enthusiastic young musician, keep working at it, keep refining what you do. Keep looking for your own unique voice that you can contribute. 

And if you are an older, established musician, the same advice holds: keep working at it, keep refining what you do. Keep looking for your own unique voice that you can contribute. 

Remember that your career is a continuum that hopefully will have a long arc. And this works at all levels. You don't have to be a globe trotting superstar to have your own voice. Even within your own, small music community, you can bring your uniqueness to share with them.

~ MB



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tam Tam vs Gong

What to Look for When Buying a Gong

Music Notation for Gongs