Truth is No Stranger to Friction


[Apologies again for multi/cross posting, but hey, they are my blogs, so why not…]

This week I was busy working on a new drum set duet. As with most compositions, this one started out with a basic rhythmic idea that I would elaborate on. I was listening to a classical music radio station and one of the tracks played caught my attention. I listened for a bit, jotted down 2 basic rhythms on a piece of paper, then shoved the paper in my pocket for later reference. A few days later, I looked at the paper and started playing around with the rhythmic idea. Example #1 shows the basic rhythmic motif: drum set #1 plays a repeating 3-beat pattern on the snare drum, while drum set #2 plays a repeating 4-beat pattern on the high tom:


click on example to enlarge

The ideas here are:

  1. Layered rhythms that are separate, but exist in the same musical space.
  2. Staggered rhythms (in the example we can see that for every 4 times the pattern in 3 is played, the pattern in 4 is played 3 times, then the 4-bar pattern starts over).
  3. A sense of friction as the 2 rhythms move against each other.
  4. A sense of sameness, leading to the mind to go into a trance, or hypnotic type state, as the 4-bar pattern is repeated throughout the whole composition.


I like friction between rhythms. I like the way 2 different rhythms can move past each other creating a 3rd, larger meta-rhythm. I'm fascinated by how different rhythms interact with each other, and how we perceive those interactions (and also how we physically feel those interactions).

The next idea, in example #2, is to move notes to other drums, but making sure they are random instead of having any discernible pattern:



In many ways I'm treating these as 2 separate drum parts that just happen to be in the same composition. This random movement of the drums hopefully produces more friction, and even more of a sense of randomness.


Finally, in example #3, 2 new ideas are added to the rhythmic layers:



  1. Drum set #1 adds a bass drum playing once every 7 notes played by the hands.
  2. Drum set #2 adds a bass drum playing once every 5 notes played by the hands.
The idea here is to introduce a 3rd & 4th rhythmic layer where both follow a strict pattern, yet because of the rhythmic structure, they appear more random and create more friction between the different rhythmic layers.

So this is one way I think, working with patterns and finding interesting ways to weave different patterns together.

~ MB

Musical examples from Drum Set Duet #13, © 2012 and reprinted with kind permission of Intuitive Arts Media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have Drummer's Lost Control Of Their Sound?

Tam Tam vs Gong

The Continuing Myths about Cymbal Alloys & Hammering - Part 1